Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Quote that Expresses It All

“John Dewey is to be classed among those who have made philosophic thought relevant to the needs of their own day [emphasis added by blogger].” -Alfred North Whitehead

A perfect introduction to my study of educational philosophy, these words placed as a preface to Dewey’s writings align with the hunger I've recently discovered within myself to become more well-versed in foundational principles of various areas of study. By this, I mean to suggest that there is something to be said for turning back to philosophy and applying these thoughts to modern-day circumstances. Yet, I wonder how can we make the knowledge of the past relevant to the reality of today? A loaded question to say the least and one museum professionals have continually dealt with.

No comments:

Post a Comment