Friday, May 29, 2009

My Introductory Thoughts to Dewey


Ever since I began my studies at IUPUI, the references both my classmates and professors gave to John Dewey fostered an urgency within me to tackle some of his most prized writings. To begin this independent study, which for those reading happens to be a melting pot of different materials relating to education, I am delving into Dewey's 1938 publication Experience and Education. A little guy at first glance, Experience and Education contains Dewey's well-articulated impressions of education, specifically his call for a thoughtfully developed philosophy of education. We will look at that in full-detail in posts to come.

In regard of things to come, each post will discuss a specific chapter of the above-mentioned text, with commentary focusing on my thoughts on educational philosophy and how that ultimately relates to informal learning experiences within cultural institutions such as museums. From time to time, you may notice my default to art museums when referencing educational concerns within these types of non-profit environments; however, I believe most of my thoughts will apply to museums of varying content expertise.

Please feel free to comment on my blog as you feel so inclined. This is meant to be a laboratory of ideas, an incubator of thought so to speak.




































No comments:

Post a Comment