Thursday, July 9, 2009

Switching Gears



After another good walk with Dewey in Art as Experience, I have decided that it is time to leave my good friend and pursue other avenues of study. The main reason I have chosen to leave Dewey behind at this time is that as I have gotten further into the depths of Arts as Experience I have found a lot of repetition between this text and Experience and Education. Given that I have the luxury of molding this course to my passions and interests, I have taken my current disinterest in Dewey as a sign to move on to bigger and better things.

In the last few weeks interning at the Denver Art Museum, some colleagues have suggested that I read Chip Heath and Dan Heath's Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die, a relatively recent text discussing the power to communicate in ways that transform the way people think and act. I find this to be a good ending to my study of experience, for it outlines what qualities cause ideas to stick--qualities that can help educators create experiences that foster life-long learning.

1 comment:

  1. Looks interesting...
    It is okay that you decided to move on. Art as Experience is a dense and difficult read. (It has taken me years to get through the whole thing). I'm glad that you stuck with it. I think your interpretations have been very strong.

    ReplyDelete